What’s so Magic about these Crazy Critters and other Magic Salt Shakers?
Unlike the usual design with an obvious container for the salt and holes in the top, it’s not always easy to imagine how these work until you try it. So here is a bit more explanation:
- How does the salt go in?
- There is a hole in the bottom – turn it upside down and pour in a tablespoon or so of table salt.
- Where does the salt come out?
- Same hole – When you shake the critter up and down, the salt comes out. Each shaker is a bit different, so test how much you need to shake for the amount of salt you want.
- Why isn’t there a plug in the bottom? How does the salt stay in?
- Each critter is made with a double cone – the salt is contained in the space between the inner and outer cones. Don’t overfill with salt. A couple of spoonfuls is enough.
- What kind of salt can I use?
- We recommend regular table salt or Kosher salt. Anything larger might not come out of the little hole.
- What about Pepper?
- Pepper worked fine in my tests. Use the regular ground pepper, not extra coarse.
- A mixture of Salt and Pepper also works, but be careful of seasoned salts that might have large bits or any sugar that might attract moisture and cause a clog.
- Why shouldn’t I wash these?
- Since there is no way to remove the contents from the shaker other than by shaking, wet salt could form clumps or a solid mass inside, and fail to dispense. Just clean the outside if needed and avoid getting any water in the hole.
- Contact us if you have more questions!